The Standing Rules of the Board of Directors of The Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society, Inc.
December 31, 2008
1. The presence of the President of the Society is requested at all Board meetings.
2. Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at 11:00 a.m. on the second (2nd) Sunday of each month, unless canceled by a majority vote of the Board of Directors at its previous regular meeting.
3. Grounds for removal from the board of Directors shall include:
a. Two unexcused absences in a row.
b. Three unexcused absences total in any 12 month period.
4. Absences shall be excused in advance for attendance at a science fiction/fantasy convention or for unanticipated work requirements; they shall be excused for emergency medical problems (family or self) either in advance or in retrospect. Excuses shall be obtained from the Chairman of the Board (or, if the Chairman cannot be reached, the Vice-Chairman) at the appropriate time. Otherwise, an absence shall be deemed to be unexcused. A majority of Board members present and voting may declare any absence “excused” in advance of the absence.
5. Unaccompanied minors need to be either accompanied or off the property by midnight.
6. Chairman of the Board of Directors cannot serve concurrently as club procedural president.
7. The LASFS clubhouse is not to be used as a residence.
8. Code of Conduct Procedures
a. A member who believes that a Code of Conduct violation has occurred may bring the matter to any officer or director, preferably the President or Vice President.
b. The President or Vice-President will ascertain if the matter is of minor degree (an infraction ) and if so will attempt to resolve the matter satisfactorily. If unable to do so, or if the matter is of major degree (a violation ), the Board of Directors will ascertain if an investigating committee is warranted.
c. The Board of Directors shall be the trial body for alleged violations, unless it chooses to appoint a trial committee to hear the trial.
d . Resolutions submitted by the trial committee in its report are acted upon by the Board of Directors.
e. If the penalty imposed is that of expulsion, a vote of the Society is required to terminate the membership.
f. The rules contained in the chapter entitled “Disciplinary Procedures” in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Society in all cases of discipline and in which they are not inconsistent with the Society bylaws, standing rules of the Society or of its Board of Directors, any special rules of order, and any statutes applicable to the Society (a California nonprofit public interest corporation) that do not authorize the provisions of the bylaws to take precedence.
At the January Board meeting, the LASFS’ Board of Directors proposed that kids too young to contribute to the work not be allowed on the premises during any work parties at the LASFS. This was Moved, Seconded, and Passed with one abstention.
(The following is included in the interests of completeness of the content of this original page on the prior incarnation of the LASFS website. At present, we do not have a clubhouse and this may be implemented or revisited in the future when we do return to meeting once again in a place we call our own.)